07 February 2013
Multimedia Tip of the Week
Online video is being watched more than ever before according to 2012's comScore report. The total number of video streams was up 44% from 2010 to 2011, with 43.5 billion views by the end of the year. And this is just the tip of the iceberg for Internet video, as views are expected to be up at least as much in 2012. The increase is due in part to better video quality and original, created-for-web content that can be syndicated across multiple platforms.
So where do you find all of these videos? The study shows that Google sites garner half of the US video market at 50.4 percent with second place going to VEVO third place to Hulu. There are over 3 billion videos viewed on YouTube every day not to mention that YouTube is the second largest search engine..
So what does this mean for your company? Use video is what it means. There are many ways to use video for your company including:
- Company info video - What is your company about? What do you do? How can you help your potential customer?
- How to videos - Are there how to-s you can video for your visitors - how to change a furnace filter, how to use Quickbooks, how to use a flat iron to curl your hair, how to check windows for air leaks, how to teach your dog to sit and many, many more.
- FAQ videos - Answer questions for your customers that you are asked frequently or that are more informative in video than in writing. How long will it take for the incision to heal, how do I set up my email account on my phone, etc. The possibilities are endless.
- Instructional videos for employee training, sales tools, etc.
- Fun videos on different topics in your industry.
How long should the video be? The average length of an online video is 5.8 minutes. Keep in mind not to make it too long, as you can only hold their attention for a small length of time. For a company video, we recommend 2 to 2-1/2 minutes. For how-to and FAQ video, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes in length. For fun videos or instructional videos, those can be longer in length.
Try it out and see the visibility it can bring to your company. Remember, if a picture is worth a video is worth a million.